Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Conviction of Judgement

"Judge not, that ye not be judged." Matthew 7:1

This is one verse that is the most quoted on a day to day basis, by believers and those who have never even cracked the cover of a bible.

As humans, we tend to judge others. Many times, we are hardest on those who we love the most. Maybe its because we want so much for them to be as perfect in our eyes as they are in our hearts. Maybe its because we live in fear of their actions to reflect poorly on ourselves. Neither is an acceptable reason, as God's word warns us.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Matthew 7:2

My heart has been extremely heavy with this very subject  as of late, being convicted once more last night with yet another family member. I had harshly judged a younger member of the family. seeing her as selfish. Now, years later, God gently opened my eyes to the situation leading up to the action I judged her for, and I was humbled to my core. I had no idea. All I knew in this moment was I was wrong.

This past spring, a similar situation happened with another family member that I was accusing of being selfish. When she told me what led to her behavior, it brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't imagine the pain that had the explanation catch in her throat. The conviction was real.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" Matthew 7:3

Its amazing how God reveals things to you. I had been judgmental for years to another family member and the way he lived his life. I thought he was bitter, angry and lazy. Then I finally became well again after slowly declining over a number of years, and now look back on mt own actions while I was sick. They mirror his. The realization took my breath away. 

I had another close family member who had also been ill for longer than I realized until I realized the resentment I had secretly harbored against him was the same judgment I had given to the pervious mentioned person. 

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven". Luke 6:37

As humans, we still fall short of the glory of God every day, and being so hard on our families is something that inevitably falls into this category. But praise God we have been washed in the blood of forgiveness and our Heavenly father forgives our inequities.We need to apply this same forgiveness to those we judge, because we do not know the whole story. If you don't, God will reveal the truth to you eventually, so be ready for the conviction.

If you have anyone you have been judging, pray for God's revelation, intervention and grace. He wants you to have the peace that comes with a non-judgmental heart. He will gladly lead you to it if you only ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment