Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Different Shade of Grey

Each and every day, the world around us is filled with depravity. As a child of God, we turn from it in our day to day encounters. But, how much do we tolerate in other areas, like our entertainment?

Back when I was growing up, the restrictions of what could be shown on television was held at a much higher level than today's standards. It seems like each season that passes the tolerance gets higher. Just because society has given in to such depravity doesn't mean that God's feelings and commands have become soft and changed.

He tells us in II Timothy 2:22: Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. There is no bend in His word or what He wants for us.

Sometimes its hard for us to turn away from things, even when you feel Him speaking to your heart. I've been watching Grey's Anatomy for a couple of years now, but enjoyed it so much that I watched all 10 seasons in just a few months. Of course, there is questionable story lines, from the constant promiscuity to the homosexual relationship featured between two of the characters.Of course I know by watching it, I am accepting it, but I continue to brush it off, since its not real, its just a television show, after all.

God turned his whisper to a louder voice a few weekends ago, when I came across and article about Shondra Rimes and how she responded to others saying that there is too much homosexuality in her other two shows by basically telling them that if they wanted to be hateful and even call those relationships wrong, then they can just quit watching her shows.

I was a bit stunned, but thought, it is not those individuals saying its wrong. Its not me saying its wrong, God did, in Leviticus 18:22.

It was just the push I needed to sit back and think, What kind of example am I sitting for my impressionable child by telling him to not watch certain shows or stay out of situations, and yet don't do the same?

I decided it was time to change the channel. Now, instead of afternoon episodes, I do housework or watch Little House on the Prairie. Thursday nights are now filled with a peace that wasn't in the house before. Is awesome. You can have it too - think about the things you watch, or the music you listen to. Is there something about the content that doesn't make your testimony shine? Pray to Him. He'll clear the grey for you.

Love and Prayers,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment